Applesoft BASIC Games
(Click the game title to play it online)
1) Applesoft Action (2012): My first Applesoft BASIC game written using the lo-res graphics mode. You play as a square who must get to the white door while avoiding the other square and his green lasers! By the 5th level, the evil square is insanely difficult. If you complete the game without losing a single man you get a special cut scene ending.
2) Dogfighters of Mars (2012): A simple pseudo-side scrolling space shooter. Objective: Kill the other dogfighter before he kills you. You must shoot the super-sized dogfighter 3 times in the center. I’ll let you figure out how to kill the martian serpent.
3) Surfshooter (2012): You’re a surfer just riding some waves until the marine life starts attacking you. Each level ends with you facing off against another surfer. Luckily, you’re equipped with a laser gun. This was my first game to use hi-res graphics, but I hadn’t yet learned to do shape tables or pre-loaded backgrounds so it’s sloooow.
4) The Deadly Orbs (2012): This was my first game I can honestly say I personally enjoyed playing! You play as a medieval knight battling deadly alien orbs. Why orbs? Because circles are easy to draw and animate ( they don’t change shape :)) It was also my first game to use shape tables to create the sprite-like objects, allowing me to do nifty little tricks like rotate the hero horizontally when he dies.
5) Double Deadly Orbs (2012): The orbs are back and deadlier than ever! This was my most ambitious BASIC game to date. I used the double hi-resolution graphics mode which requires an Apple II with 128KB RAM just to play it. I also wrote music and sound effects using Electric Duet, background graphics with Dazzle Draw, shape tables with Apple Mechanic, and used DoubleVision for coding in DHR mode.